Lynn and I had a very interesting conversation with some of our friends and a guest from YWAM (Youth with a Mission). We talked about the effective and ineffective aspects of short term missions (in general). This man from YWAM had some very interesting observations concerning the state of the local communities from which youth leave in order to travel the world and do missions. He talked about the importance of a trade so that you have something to give to a community and the importance of long term investment. He was not saying that short term missions trips and organizations are ineffective, but was suggesting some pros and cons that are important to think about. He is a very good "big picture thinker". He wants to know what effects will be long lasting to a community after a team has visited.
God confirmed some things in my own mind and heart throughout this conversation that I was seeing in the spiritual realm. I started trying to explain, but didn't do a very good job... I just new that God was bringing about a shift in our culture and how we do and perceive ministry. Because of very natural factors of how our world has progressed and the state of our culture today, our younger generations just cannot function the way previous generations have. It's like a relay race when it becomes apparent to the one running with the baton that those who have gone behind had gotten slightly off track and a shift has to take place in order to continue running an effective race in the power of the Holy Spirit and in order to point the next runner in the right place.
I was interested to read a "prophetic council report" (www.ears2hear.ca) that I check up on every now and then that said these very words:
...this is a convergence of times. [The Lord said] “this is the angel of the winds of change, and it’s about to decree a change in the times and seasons.”
There was a lot more to that prophecy, but I cannot write the whole thing... But affirm in my own spirit that God is sending forth His mighty wind and it will bring a change in the times and the seasons.
Our generation and the one behind has such an awesome opportunity. We really need to step up to the plate, take responsibility for ourselves, and begin moving and living in the power of the Holy Spirit, bearing His beautiful fruit in our lives as we reflect His image to a world in major need of direction and salvation.
Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit says the Lord.
They will know we are Christians by our love.
Love the Lord your God... and love your neighbor as yourself...
1 comment:
I think your right Natasha- People are just thinking differently than they did a few years ago. It's really facinating to observe. It will be interesting to see how it will pan out in the next few years.
Post a Comment