Well, today I met Alex. She is a beautiful young girl (maybe 14) who has been coming into Curves many mornings when I am there working out with an older woman. She is dark complected, but the lady she comes in with is quite fair. My assumption, based on the look of things, has been that she is a foster child.
Alex and I seemed to connect immediately. We never spoke because we always seemed to come and leave at different times. But we would catch eyes and smile regularly. A love grew in my heart for her and I wanted desperately to share the love of Jesus with her! I prayed for an opportunity to speak to her and then one came... but I didn't do it! I got shy and walked by casually instead of stopping and saying hi.
So today, Alex and the older lady came in again while Jodi and I were in the middle of our last circuit. Alex and I caught eyes again and smiled. I finished my work and decided enough was enough. It was time to meet this young woman. I walked to them while they were still working out on the machines and said, "Hi. We seem to see each other here all the time, yet have never met. My name is Natasha."
Instantly we struck up a conversation. She told me her name was Alex and the older woman's name was Carolyn. We talked about Curves and how we don't come to loose wait but to try and build some muscle! It was a wonderful, simple conversation and hopefully the beginning of a friendship in which the Lord can shine His love into her life. But it also struck a cord in my heart relating my own journey at this time in my life...
I think I know what I want to do now. I am officially graduated, so I have my BA. I now want to work in social services or something... with girls like Alex. I want to counsel, but also be a part of their life, building a relationship with them. Basically, I want to do ministry, but in the world instead of the church. I guess I still don't know exactly what I'm looking for; but God has brought revelation to my heart in light of where and how He is drawing me. I am so excited for this new season of life!
Please lead me and guide me, O Lord! Please graciously bestow me with your favor. And use me Lord, to be a witness of your love, your truth, and your glory.
"Into your hands I commit my spirit" (Psalm 31).