"For God so loved the world..." (John 3:16)
Isn't it interesting that God has called us to be in the world but not of the world. But in this world, we are commanded to do one thing which sums up all the law and the prophets... love.
I think we often translate love as "politeness" or maybe kindness... The command to love others is fulfilled in being generally kind and polite to mankind. We can reasonably respect others opinions and personal rights and call this "loving our neighbor".
But God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son... God loved unto His own death and ultimately unto life.
I'm so challenged to love with this kind of love... this kind of love that so transforms a person that all the law and the prophets are fulfilled in it... It's much deeper and more powerful than general politeness or even respect. It's involved... it's painful... it's sacrificial...it's unto life...
We talk a lot about God being glorified in our lives as we do His will and perform the good works He has laid out for us to do. But I think God is showing me how the ultimate challenge is in our relationships, relationships that love unto life.
Is God glorified through signs and wonders? Yes.
Is He glorified in creation? Yes.
Is He glorified in a submitted life? Absolutely.
But He is uniquely glorified in the expression of His love from one unto another. Greater love has no man than this, that a man should lay down his life for his friend. The enemy has no weapon to fight against love! It never fails! But isn't it the hardest thing of all to do! Don't we sugar coat and avoid the true cost of this life of love? Don't we fail to represent the love of God in our relationships!? But this is the only commandment! To love!
And these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love.
Father, so far this life of love has been painful and full of failures. I fall short of it every day! If ever I needed your strength it is for this. I am the Vine and you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, He will bear much fruit. Apart from me you can do nothing... Remain in my love! (John 15)
Father, I believe you can change the world through one heart who is willing, however impossible it may seem, to love as you love. What is impossible with man is possible with God.
Father, be glorified!