I have been so humbled and challenged after preaching the sermon I preached last weekend on sufficient grace. As usual, I was slow in understanding what the Lord was teaching me.
I so often fall into the trap of thinking that I am working toward a goal of being perfect, or "right". When I am thinking that way, it is to get discouraged. It seems as though the more I press in to the love of God, the more I become aware of my shortcomings! ...like I am getting worse, not better. In reality, all these things I see now, the Lord has always seen, even with all of the other things I was dealing with before! I was saved by grace then, and I'm saved by grace now. His grace is sufficient!!!
But sufficient for what? For me to be strong... His strength is made perfect in my weakness...
Father, teach me about your grace that humbles and strengthens/empowers me into a life of grace!
God began working on my heart as I was humbled by His Word, and my obvious insufficiency for this life. I have always felt weak, especially since I started struggling physically. I fought to be strong, fighting the fear that I was too weak and would never make it. I would never be strong enough to hold my head above water, to achieve a life that glorifies God, to have unshakable faith, joy that defies my circumstances, and most of all, love - a holy love, pure and true, a love from and for God and for others (starting with my husband!). I am weak, Lord! Help!
But God, in His patience with me, kept ministering to my heart, even after I already preached the sermon... When I am weak, then I am strong!
We often say in our humility, "I am weak, but God is strong!" But Paul didn't say that. He said, "When I am weak, then I am strong." God is helping understand the life of strength He has for me... and how He sees me as strong, not weak like I might see myself. I must learn to own the strength He's given me as Paul did. I cannot humbly accept my weakness and say, "but God is strong!" My life will simply reflect the life of a weak human being who says God is strong. But God wants to perfect His strength in my weakness... so that I am strong!
God is showing me how I must own His strength, but out of humility. When I own his strength, in grace, (for I am His and He is mine! and He has not given me a spirit of fear, but of power of love, and of a sound mind!) than I can live a life that brings glory and honor to the Name of God because His strength is being made perfect in my weakness!
I praise you Lord, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made! You have given me the capacity to know you, and reflect Your image! Father, you've made me strong, like a tree planted by streams of water,which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers. (Psalm 1:3)
Help me Lord, to walk humbly and strengthened in your sufficient grace!